Friday, January 16, 2009

Fingers anyone?


So our cutie has a habit that we've been trying to break for about three years. I think he must have been sucking on his fingers in the womb! He never would take a pacifier. He only wanted his fingers. All of our other children were finished with pacifiers pretty close to their first birthday so that's about when we started trying to get cutie to stop sucking his fingers. We've tried the yucky tasting stuff on his fingernails---he didn't mind at all. He would make a funny face and then keep on sucking. As he has gotten older we've tried more thoughtful things. We put duck tape on his fingers so he couldn't suck on them. That seemed to help for a while. He even thought it was fun to have "remembering tape" on his fingers, but now he chews on the tape instead.
We've tried giving him a sucker if he keeps his fingers out of his mouth for any amount of time but he thinks "5 seconds" is long enough to get a sucker. I disagree.

A few days ago Juice tried some reverse psychology and kept telling him to put his fingers in his mouth. She said it was working and he didn't want them in his mouth anymore so I decided to try it. When I told him to put his fingers in his mouth he gave me this delighted, amazed look and popped them right in. Later that day he came to me and said, "Remember when you told me to put my fingers in my mouth? Will you tell me that again?"

1 comment:

Jenni said...

Poor kid... he'll get through it soon hopefully! Just wanted you to know that I still read your blog, just haven't been commenting much lately. I love you!