Thursday, August 7, 2008

Projects!

Last Spring my husband suggested that we should choose a room in our house to fix up each month. Every Saturday we would spend about four hours working. What a great way to teach our children to work!(I hope it's working) That seemed like a good idea so we stripped the outdated wallpaper from our family room and painted in April and May. It looks great! That worked out pretty good.

So in June we decided to fix up the boys' room. The first Saturday we pulled down the wallpaper border and washed the walls and picked the paint colors. The second Saturday we painted. That didn't take very long so my husband said, "Let's refinish the dresser and bunk beds!" Now refinishing furniture is a pretty big project, but he wouldn't be deterred so we pulled the furniture out into the back yard and went and bought some stripper and began. . . . .and guess what!

It's still sitting in our carport.

We(I) finally finished the dresser a couple of weeks ago, but the bunk beds are a lot bigger job and they're still sitting there. School starts in two weeks and I am determined that we're(I'm) going to have it finished before that. I've been trying to get one piece stripped each day this week, but I'm not sure the kids are learning to work from this project since the stripper is very acidic and I don't want them working with dangerous chemicals.(I'm not very excited to work with them myself!)

Anyway, I think it will be very nice when it's done, but I am not sure I am glad we began. I'll post some pictures when we're finished.

2 comments:

KCK said...

Wow, Lorie, I am impressed. I am not a do-it-yourselfer--mostly because I'm not a risk-taker. Which means I don't want to risk: messing up or not finishing--both of which I am prone to do! Hurray for you for taking the bull by the horns and working on finishing--you are my hero. Looking forward to the pictures!

me said...

I wouldn't have started without Stephen deciding we would, but now I have to(get to) finish it!