Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A million memories

Well it's been a week now since Grandpa passed away and what a week! I've had so many memories running through my mind. It seems like most of them have to do with food! Everyone remembers his famous pancakes. Last July I took my kids to visit Grandma while she was in the hospital after her stroke. We thought we were going to get up and make breakfast and see what we could do to help Grandpa---but surprise!--He was up before us making his famous pancakes. What a wonderful memory for my children!

I remember picnics in the back yard with Grandpa's famous dutch oven potatoes and BBQ chicken. (Does anyone have his chicken recipe? I know it had vinegar and water in a spray bottle. What else did he put in?)

I remember Thanksgivings at Grandma & Grandpa's house with the whole family. We were always scrambling to find a place for everyone to sit. When I was little Grandpa would tell me, "You might have to sit on your thumb!" I think I might have tried it once without much success!

Grandpa was always the quiet strength in the background of all the noise and fun when we were all together. What a great example for all of us!

No comments: