Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Preschool

Yesterday I had a friend ask me if I wanted to do preschool for her son next year. There's an excellent preschool in our neighborhood where most of the kids go, but she doesn't think she'll be able to afford it for her youngest next year. She knows I don't send Cutie to preschool and I teach him at home. I had to laugh because what she doesn't know is that he pretty much runs his own preschool. Here's how our preschool goes--early in the morning he says, "We need to make my lunch." so we make a lunch in a lunchbox(at his insistence) to save for lunch time. Later he'll say, "Can I do my preschool book?" so we'll get it out and do some pages. If he needs my help I help him but a lot of the time he doesn't need any help. After a few pages he'll decide he's done with that and he'll ask if he can do his letter flash cards. So we'll review letters and sounds for a few minutes until he decides he's had enough. Almost every day he asks to watch The Letter Factory or The Talking Words Factory. He really wants to learn to read and he's getting there fast with little or no prodding from me. We go to a neighborhood play group once a week and story time at the library once a week. That's pretty much our preschool.

None of my children went to preschool and each one has been a different adventure. I just let them take the lead and I follow along. Needless to say, I turned down her offer. I don't think running a preschool in my home is an ambition I want to follow(as fun as it may be!).

No comments: