Wednesday, July 16, 2008

What's a parent to do?


I have this beautiful, amazing, wonderful 17-year-old daughter. She has always been so good. She pretty much does what we ask her and is responsible for herself. It is a struggle, however to know how much freedom is too much for her. Is it too much for us to ask her to call and let us know if she'll be home later than expected? I don't think so. We've been pretty laid back parents, but when we feel she is putting herself in a potentially dangerous position we feel like we must establish some guidelines for her. She sure doesn't like it! She is constantly pushing the limits(which aren't very tight). It is definitely a matter to be prayed over---a lot! Of course she has to make her own choices AND accept the consequences.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Hi Lorie,

She is certainly growing up! and you are right.. she's BEAUTIFUL! I don't envy you the challenge of teenagers.. especially when there's been no need to put guidelines out for them previously. I'm sure that she'll get used to it with time... :) just in time to move to school somewhere and really stretch her wings. :)

Love your blog.. :)
xoxoxo

KCK said...

We are struggling with much of the same with Daniel--and since he's turning 18 this month, he thinks he will have unlimited freedom. We've tried to impress upon him that this will not be the case--especially since he still has a year of high school left. I think my knees will get a workout from prayer on this one!

Great to be able to keep up with your family on your blog. I just started one for our family, too--
singinintheshower.blogspot.com

Love,

The Krommenhoeks

Jenni said...

Becca is right, she is beautiful, ans smart, and unique. What guy wouldn't want to date her? I am anxious for you to figure things out so I can come to you for advice when my kids are older, but for now I'm going to enjoy not having to stress about teenagers yet. I love you and have always looked up to you and the wonderful way you have raised your children.